- THE HORMONES. They're psychotic. They're making me think and do bizarre things. I want to say to every twelve-year-old kid: Kid, you do not want to be a teenager. You will have crazy hormones possessing you and it will be terrible and you will basically feel like the biggest freak ever. And I can't tell you that it'll get better because I haven't gotten to that point yet, so who knows? Maybe I'll feel like a teenager for the rest of my life.
- THE WORRYING WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK. From what I've gathered, I think this is something adults experience as well. And it's AWFUL. It's this constant, do they like me? Do they hate me? Am I just a pain in the neck? Are people only nice to me because they're socially obligated to be nice to me? These questions keep me awake at night.
- THE PRESSURE. The pressure to go to parties and have a lot of friends and drink alcohol and date boys/girls and dress well and be attractive and care what other people think and act like you're normal even when you feel like the weirdest person ever. And the pressure to be thin. God. It's all about being thin And if you're a girl there's all this pressure to be feminine and if you're a boy I'd say there must be all this pressure to be masculine.
- THE UNCERTAINTY. What will I do after school? Where will I live? Will I have friends? Will I get into university? Will anyone want to hire me? I've got no skills! When will I move out of my parents house? Will my life be good? Will my life ever feel like it's getting better? Will all my friends ditch me? Will I ever get married, have a boyfriend/girlfriend? What if no one ever finds me attractive? What if I turn into a cat lady?
- THE AWKWARDNESS. I can't remember the last time I didn't feel awkward. Or the last time I didn't have an awkward conversation with someone my own age. Always with the awkward. Always with the saying stupid things. I try and avoid interacting with people of the opposite gender that are my age because those interactions tend to be even more awkward. And later, agonizing over everything I said. Hate that.
- THE HATING YOURSELF/YOUR BODY. This constant feeling that you aren't good enough, that you aren't interesting enough, that you aren't thin enough. Just this feeling of not being enough. And you're aware that you only have these attitudes because of the media and peer pressure and everything and that maybe you are enough, but these bad feelings are still there. And, geez, did I just slip into second person there?
The Suckiest Things About Being A Teenager
Tuesday, April 13, 2010
Labels: thoughts on teenagerdom